Toxic mold is a type of fungus that can grow in or around a house as a result of not cleaning for extended periods of time. You usually see it in more humid climates, where dry weather and direct light are infrequent. Certain types of molds can be potentially dangerous to your health. It’s important to know which ones are dangerous and which ones are not, so that you can figure out the best way to clean it up and get rid of it; that is, either by yourself or with a professional service. Below are a few examples of fungi/mold species that can be hazardous to the health of humans:
Mycotoxins are poisonous substances that are produced by fungi. They are one of the many causes for the adverse health effects that molds have on humans, and therefore are to be properly removed whenever and wherever they may appear. Mycotoxins occur when humans inhale or ingest fungal spores, which tend to be concentrated in fungal spores, and in this way present a potential hazard to those who inhale these airborne spores.
Toxic mold can have a significant affect on the function of the pulmonary filtering processes (in the lungs) and can be a health hazard to whoever is exposed. Dangerous mold species include Stachybotrys atra, Aspergillus versicolor, and several toxigenic species of Penicillium. Although mold affects individuals differently and to varying degrees, the following are some of the most common adverse health effects.
There has been quite a lot of literature detailing specific case studies of mold contaminating homes and other structures. However, there has been relatively little work on the specific conditions and surroundings that allowed this growth. Material properties, temperatures, and ecological niches that allowed fungi and mold to thrive, expand, and then eventually die, have been studied in the last 10 years. One of the results discovered was that humidity played a role to the growth of mold. However, small amounts of moisture can foster the development of certain mold growths. Other types of mold require much greater levels of moisture. A rather toxic species, like Stachybotrys atra, needs a lot of moisture and plenty of materials that contain cellulose in order to foster growth.
It’s been shown that there are greater rates of poisonous fungal species in poorly maintained offices/homes with water damage or moisture problems. While only a small number of molds and fungi are considered toxic and allergenic, species such as Stachybotrys atra (S. atra) have been directly linked to numerous cases of hemorrhagic lung disease in infants. This is one of the reasons why these mold and fungi are taken so seriously, and why it is so important to properly treat them when they appear.
Currently Indexing Over 75 'BluePages' Covering 1,000+ topics!