According to an estimate by the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI), about 77-80% of people buying a new home, go in for home inspection prior to closing the deal on their homes. A home inspection report gives them all the necessary information about the condition of the home and its components, so that they can make an informed decision. This market is only set to expand, and thus a career as a home inspector could be very rewarding and lucrative.
Here’s how you can become a home inspector and have your own home inspection business if you so desire:
1) Join an Educational Program: There are hundreds of institutes and agencies, which provide courses and training to people who want to become a home inspector. These courses are a great place to start learning about the process of home inspection. Most educational programs provide you with the following:
Books and materials that cover all areas of home inspection.
Knowledge about the procedure for doing competent home inspection.
Guide to all the equipment that you will need if you want to become a home inspector.
Color photographs taken during home inspection and also videos of home inspection, so that you can see for yourself what to expect during home inspection.
Continued support and education about new procedures and tools used for home inspection.
2) Doing Hands-on Training: This is, by far, the best way to get all the experience required to become an efficient and competent home inspector. You can take a job with a home inspection company, or train under a qualified and certified home inspector. This hands-on training will give you more practical knowledge and experience, which can enhance the education that you have received from your study courses. Many home inspector training institutes also offer such training programs to those who want to become home inspectors.
3) Get Certified: Becoming a home inspector is not very tough, but getting certified from any home inspector certification agencies could be. These agencies require you to take written tests on general home inspection topics, and also evaluate your work, before certifying you as a home inspector. The only way that you are going to be a successful home inspector is if you are certified. Being a certified member of home inspector associations can be very beneficial in making you a known name among home inspectors.
4) Online Forums: There are many websites and online forums that have live home inspector discussions. By joining such a forum, you can stay in touch with some of the leading home inspectors in the business and learn valuable ‘secrets of the trade’ from them. This can help you tremendously in becoming a home inspector.
5) Legal Requirements: Find out if your state needs you to have a license to become a home inspector and carry out home inspections. Many states require such a license while many don’t. If your state does mandate a home inspector license, then you need to obtain one to become a home inspector.
Becoming a home inspector is not very difficult, especially for those who have an interest in construction and don’t mind being on their feet most days. If you are not technically challenged and enjoy trying to figure things out, then becoming a home inspector is the ideal career opportunity for you.
And for those who do not have too much time on their hands to give for classroom courses, there are many distance learning and online courses that you can take, which will help you to become a home inspector at your pace and convenience.
Currently Indexing Over 75 'BluePages' Covering 1,000+ topics!